I’m a homebrewer and beer connoisseur living in northern New Jersey with my wife and daughter. I started homebrewing in college back in 1993 and brewed for 3-4 years. I put the hobby aside for a few years and began brewing again in late 2007. I brew 5 gallon, all grain batches and have dabbled in apple wine. I don’t brew as often as I’d like due to family commitments but I enjoy it when I can.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Moylan's Double IPA - Review #0002

Finally broke open a Moylan's Double IPA last night that's been sitting in my fridge for a week and I'm sorry to say, it was a bit disappointing. Don't get me wrong it is a well designed beer and worthy of the awards and accolades it has received, it's just not my type of double IPA.

I found it a bit too full bodied and I don't care for Chinook and Simco hops; I just don't care for the piney/resiny hops. Lingers in the mouth and feels sticky on the tongue.

Poured a beautiful orangie/amber with a nice long lasting head. Aromas of citrus and pine with a hint of the garlic and onions. A bit too full in the mouth feel but just a bit, that's more of a personal issue. Nowhere near as full bodied as say an Avery Maharaja, but not as dry as a Southern Tier Unearthly.

Over all an excellent Double IPA but not one I would gravitate towards again in the future.

No comments: