It has been one week to the day and I'm jonesing to take a gravity reading of my Amarillo Pale ale. Perhaps when I get home from work, I work a part time job that includes every other Saturday, I'll break out the thief and pull off a sample.
My Amarillo Pale was my first brew on my new equipment. Few months ago I discovered that I was upgrading in too many directions and it would have cost me more to retrofit everything than it would to start fresh. So I got a new 10 gallon cooler and 10 gallon boil kettle for Christmas. Thanks Santa!
Anyway the brew day was a smashing success. Got higher efficiency then expected, the day went as smooth as silk, and a buddy of mine and I put back a few nice beers.
Here's my recipe:
Target OG 1.051
Actual OG 1.058
Target IBU 47.5
Actual IBU 54.3
12lb Halycon Pale Ale Malt
.5lb Crystal 20L
.25 Crystal 55L
.5lb White Wheat
2 oz Amarillo 8%aa FWH carried over to boil
1 oz Amarillo 8%aa at knockout
Safale US05
Mashed 60 minutes at 152f. Mash with 4.25 gallons of water: 1.28qt/lb. Infused mash with 2.5 gallons of boiling water for a 10 minute mash out at 168f. Collected 5.25 gallons of first runnings at 1.067. 3.5 gallons of 170f infused for second runnings. Collected 9 gallons at 1.051. Boiled 60 minutes, added whirlfloc at 10 minute remaining. Chilled, whirlpooled, racked off the trub and pitched.
Fermented at 64f....looks and smell wonderful, has aromas of fresh bread with a nicely assertive citrus character.
Saturday, January 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment