I've seen Red's Rye around for months but always seem to pass it up for their Centennial IPA or Backwoods Bastard or Dirty Bastard or Dry Hopped Pale Ale....like Founders much? Yes I do.
I finally decided to have one when my wife and I were out to dinner a few weeks ago at a place called Salt in Stanhope (not a half bad selection of beer, nothing too exciting but not bad). As usual I was pleasantly surprised at how good this beer is. A huge hop burst of citrus and grapfruit from the Amarillo hops with a spicy/malty rye backbone with hints of caramel.
Pours a lovely garnet red with ruby highlights and slightly off white head. Clear as day with a wonderfully enticing aroma. The easiest drinking 70 ibus I've ever had. Makes me wonder if they mash hop or first wort hop this one....perhaps late additions combined with low cohumulone levels of Amarillo just make this a home run.
One of the best red rye ales I've had, far exceeds Harpoon's 100 Barrel Series Rusty's Red Rye which was my leading rye beer previously. Nice work Founders, keep'em coming.

No comments:
Post a Comment