I’m a homebrewer and beer connoisseur living in northern New Jersey with my wife and daughter. I started homebrewing in college back in 1993 and brewed for 3-4 years. I put the hobby aside for a few years and began brewing again in late 2007. I brew 5 gallon, all grain batches and have dabbled in apple wine. I don’t brew as often as I’d like due to family commitments but I enjoy it when I can.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Shipyard Brewing Co’s Old Thumper – Review #0005

It has been at least 10 years since I’ve last had an Old Thumper and I have to say it has been too long. This ESB once held an esteemed place in my heart and was a regular brew in my weekend rotation. A recent listing of regional winners in All About Beer magazine resurrected my interested in this beer so I picked up a six pack tonight on my way home from work.

Old Thumper pours a slightly opaque orange/caramely color with a mousey head that quickly dissolvers to not much more than a ring around the glass. Strong aromas of browns sugar and rum dominate this beer with hints of hard candy and spice (not unlike a root beer hard candy).

A dry, fairly light mouth feel that leaves a prickly sensation on the tongue. Malty, with hints of dark bread crust and caramel with a lingering hop resign aftertaste. A seemingly authentic and traditional ESB well worth a try.

No comments: