I’m a homebrewer and beer connoisseur living in northern New Jersey with my wife and daughter. I started homebrewing in college back in 1993 and brewed for 3-4 years. I put the hobby aside for a few years and began brewing again in late 2007. I brew 5 gallon, all grain batches and have dabbled in apple wine. I don’t brew as often as I’d like due to family commitments but I enjoy it when I can.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Mikkeller’s All Others Pale – Review #0004


I’ve been wanting to try Mikkeller’s All Others Pale for some time now and finally took off the skirt and picked it up this past weekend. I enjoyed it and would pick it up again. As always I try and expose my wife to good beer and she, true to fashion, dismissed it as terrible; she really doesn’t like hoppy beer.

All Others Pale comes right out of the gate with a huge candi sugar aroma followed up with a bready/biscuit backbone. It's a radiant, hazy, light orange to the eye that, once settled, has a long lasting thick head with aromas of bready malts and citrus, specifically orange, grapefruit and nectarines.

The flavor is very complex and rapidly changes as it warms up. My initial sip offered a dry mouth feel with almost an astringent hop character that very quickly faded to a silkiness on the tough not unlike a vanilla cream soda. Once warmed up that same silkiness becomes more reminiscent of a dry cracker, and a strong, herbaceous hop character. Over all a very complex pale ale reminiscent of an American style but distinctly European.

No comments: