I’m a homebrewer and beer connoisseur living in northern New Jersey with my wife and daughter. I started homebrewing in college back in 1993 and brewed for 3-4 years. I put the hobby aside for a few years and began brewing again in late 2007. I brew 5 gallon, all grain batches and have dabbled in apple wine. I don’t brew as often as I’d like due to family commitments but I enjoy it when I can.

Monday, February 1, 2010

21A’s Monk’s Blood – Review #0003



From the 21A:
"Monk's Blood is the first installment in our new Insurrection Series, a limited edition, four-pack release of a very special beer that rises up in revolt against common notions of what canned beer can be. A Belgian dark-strong, brewed with dried mission figs, Belgian dark candy sugar, vanilla beans and aged over oak chips comes in at 8.3% ABV available in 4-pack cans and on draft at your favorite good beer place."

First let me say this beer really delivers as promised and does not disappoint. Pours a gorgeous dark ruby red with an off white, dare I say linen white, head that just cascaded down the glass as I enjoyed this beer.

Initial aroma impressions are similar to a dark fruit bread: stone fruits (cherries and plums) with raisins and figs; notes of vanilla, hard candy and a sourness not unlike a Flanders’s Brown all underpinned by dark bread.

Medium bodied with a dry, mildly hoppy, earthy/spicy finish. It tastes malty and bready with currents, cherries, figs, and hints of spice; no sourness or acidic flavors as indicated by the aroma. The oak is not over done and is barely noticeable, perfectly balanced; adds a subtlety that almost can’t be placed.

Over all a fine example of a Belgian Dark Strong; I wouldn’t go so far as to say a true classic example….more of a classic example that leans toward an American interpretation. Well done 21A, well done indeed.

No comments: